Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Corn: A Poem

The Corn

The corn so tall
Its height surpasses all
With tassels shaped like umbrellas
And cobs as big as papayas

Corn so proud and upright
In beauty all others it will smite
In usefulness it can't be surpassed
Only in seasons it can't outlast

Its stem is rigid yet supple
Like bamboo for example
Surpassed by sugarcane in rigidity
But corn comes in more variety

Corn is just a grass but take heed
It is best in fulfilling need
From food, shelter chemicals, paper and feed
Zea mays, the noble seed


-o0o-

Explanatory Note:  I wrote this poem when I was in high school.  I really like corn as a plant and as a crop.  I even made a geocities website on the topic.  In this poem, I believe I've captured all of Maize's virtues save for its productivity.  Which is a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment